Analogies are vocabulary questions, but actually, they require more than just knowing the meaning of the words.
Analogies ask you to find out the relationships between pairs of words.
Each question below consists of a related pair of words or phrases, followed by four or five pairs of words or
phrases labeled A through D/E. Select the pair that best expresses a relationship similar to that expressed in the
CRUMB : BREAD ::
- Candle : Light
- Fire : Spark
- Hillock : Mountain
- splinter : Wood
- Milk : Butter
D. First find the relationship between the given pair of words, and then look for the pair of words among
the answers that has the same relationship.
A CRUMB is a very small piece that falls from or breaks off from a piece of BREAD. In choice (D), splinter is a
very small piece that breaks off or splits away from a piece of wood. None of the relationships between the two
words in the other choices is similar to the relationship between CRUMB and BREAD:
- Candle emits light; it is not a small piece of a candle.
- Spark can cause fire. Fire is not a piece of spark.
- Hillock and mountain has a relationship of small and large.
- Milk is what butter is made from, but butter is not a small piece of Milk.
Explanation of the preceding example gives 3 clues:
- You must know the meaning of the words.
- You should be able to express the relationship between the two words in the question in a test sentence.
- You should be able to express the relationship, in correct answer, by using the test sentence for substituting
To answer Analogy question, start making up a "test sentence" that expresses how the two words in the question
are related. Then try to insert the words from each choice in your test sentence to see which pair makes the most
ALBUM : PHOTOGRAPHS ::
- Head : Cap
- Bulb : Light
- Compact Disks : CPU
- Shelf : Books
- Pen : Paper
Make up a sentence that expresses the relationship between the two words in the question. Your test
sentence may be
"An ALBUM is a place for saving
An ___________ is a place for saving ___________.
Put in the words from the choices, the pair that makes the most sense in the test sentence is the correct answer.
- A head is a place for saving caps.
- A bulb is a place for saving light.
- A compact disk is a place for saving CPU.
- A shelf is a place for saving books.
- A pen is a place for saving papers.
Only choice (D) makes sense. It is the right choice.
Eliminate Wrong Choices and Guess:
In case, you don't know the correct answer, eliminate any choices that you know are wrong and guess from those
Practice Test 1
Online Test Practice